During the winter months the best place for your boat is out of the water, well covered with tarp or study cover, or under cover in an appropriate storage area. It is worth checking your owners manual for your boat and motor for their recommendations on winterization.
To make it easirer for you we have put together a basic checklist of steps to succesfully winterize your boat:
- Clean your boat before storing it for the winter.
- Add gasoline stabilizer to prevent the fuel from degrading over the winter preventing oxidation and corrosion.
- Close fuel valves and replace the fuel filter and water separator.
- Coat the spark plugs.
- Fill the engine block with antifreeze.
- Change the engine’s gear oil.
- Disengage the battery and store in a safe, dry place for the winter.
If you are a new boat owner, or just don’t have the time or experience in winterizing, hire a professional like R1 Boat Butlers to do the job.